THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED. I'm still going to be keeping it up here, though-- there's some pretty cool old stuff on it. That said, if you want to keep up to date with me, please go to www.georgeoconnorbooks.com.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hestia



Poor Hestia, the least developed of the Olympians. Despite being extremely important in cult and ancient everyday life, she had virtually no presence in myth or art, which has lead to her being the most overlooked member of the pantheon in the modern day. As a goddess of the hearth and fire, I chose to depict her as a barely humanoid being of living flame, as a nod to her barely-personified role in myth.

As an aside, I drew this whole piece up in about, no lie, 5 minutes. I was actually going to scrap it until a couple of my studio-mates, with no prodding from me, came up and told me how much they liked this drawing, left on my drafting table, in particular. I guess I was too close to see its merits.

No comments: