THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED. I'm still going to be keeping it up here, though-- there's some pretty cool old stuff on it. That said, if you want to keep up to date with me, please go to www.georgeoconnorbooks.com.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

warm up: Atari and the Blade Runner Curse

Today's warm up topic was "Atari".

I never had an Atari growing up-- my family was all about the Intelivision. As such, I didn't really have any strong Atari-related feeling to convey with my drawing today.





When I do think of Atari, I pretty much think of the famous "Blade Runner Curse". Atari was one of several then-giant firms (like Pan Am and Cuisinart) that were featured prominently in the giant moving video billboards in the 1982 sci-fi classic "Blade Runner" that shortly thereafter went bankrupt. Even mighty Coca Cola was almost dealt a fatal blow with its disastrous introduction of New Coke about that time. You can read more about this whole curse here if you don't believe me. It's on Wikipedia, so it must be true.

No comments: