THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED. I'm still going to be keeping it up here, though-- there's some pretty cool old stuff on it. That said, if you want to keep up to date with me, please go to www.georgeoconnorbooks.com.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Blood-Dripping Ares



This just started out as a doodle on the subway. I was going to New York Comic Con and drew it in my "signing pen", which I normally don't draw with, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Unlike most of the Olympians, Ares is most often described in some unflattering and downright scary ways (which makes sense, since he was the god of the savage bloodlust of war, as opposed to Athena, who represented the strategic approach to battle). One of his memorable Homeric epithets was Miaiphonos, which translates as "blood-stained" or "blood-dripping". Homer also describes his eyes, burning like fire, peering out from behind his bronze helmet. There's the inspirations for this piece.

No comments: