THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN RETIRED. I'm still going to be keeping it up here, though-- there's some pretty cool old stuff on it. That said, if you want to keep up to date with me, please go to www.georgeoconnorbooks.com.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Three Shadows

Even though I've had this book for about a week, I only read it just  yesterday and I can't get it out of my head. I'm hesitant to give away too much of the plot: suffice it to say it concerns a family (dad Louis, mom Lise, and son Joachim) who live an idyllic existence in some unnamed land, until, one day, three mysterious figures (the titular shadows) appear on the periphery of their property. These figures evoke a sense of dread in the family, and soon it becomes apparent that they are there for little Joachim.
Cyril Pedrosa, the author and illustrator, worked on such Disney films as The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Hercules, and some of that is evident in his striking black-and-white artwork. If you're Disney-phobic, though, don't let that scare you off; there's not a cute fuzzy bunny or anthropomorphized animal in sight.  It' a beautifully illustrated book, and definitely worth multiple reads.

1 comment:

Maria Mercado said...

I'll definitely have to check this out! It looks great!